Saturday, November 7, 2015

What's on My Bench??

Today's episode is from JET member Gaetana of SatinDollCo. Today, Gaetana is going to talk to us about one of her non-jewelry products she sells in her shop.

I recently was forced to minimize of "MY STUFF" which actually forced me to get rid of a lot of unwanted clutter. I found some hidden treasures that I totally forgot about. I also came across my pattern that I use to make my card cases which got me thinking. Since I have a ton of vinyl just laying around why not make them into card cases too.


It first starts with the vinyl. I chose to first work with the gold and green. The purple I'll come back later to work on.


I then pin the pattern down with stick pins and cut.


Now it's time to get the real work: making the holes and pounding the rivets. For this I'll need gold rivets and ore. Since  I have no hammer  the ore will do double the job by punching  the holes and wooden side I'll use to hammered the rivet two pieces together.This part is a true labor of love because I'm doing all the hole punching and setting the rivets by hand. Tons of pounding. My neighbors love me. =)


Once all the holes are made and the rivets have been placed and set it's complete.Here's a look of it open:



and it closed:


Our Moss Green Vinyl Card Case is complete and can be found in my Etsy shopYou can also find them in black, gold and cognac. Now this is what I call handmade!

Thank you Gaetana for a glimpse into your creative process. Stay tuned for next week's episode of What's on My Bench??

Val Swanson
Designed by Val


10 comments :

Tracy said...

These are great!

Unknown said...

Very cool!!!

Cher said...

Awesome use of found treasures, Gaetana! I love the purple... must keep checking your shop for that one ;)

Glad I'm in a single family house, so when I bang metals, it doesn't disturb anyone... well, my cats... but they've gotten used to it, lol

babble on said...

Fun article. Great to see something go from nothing to something.

cooljewelrydesign said...

Gaetana ... you are always surprising us with something creative ... these are very cool!

Beadsme said...

Wonderful. What a way to declutter - just make something different.

SendingLoveGallery said...

wonderful post, Gaetana! you are multi-talented!

Michele said...

Pretty cases, to put in your handbag and look organized when handing them out, nice post also!!!!

Mollie Ann said...

Love these cases! Thanks for sharing!

LoveStoneArts said...

Something to prevent bent corners on our business cards. What a creative use of little parts and pieces! I'm going to read and reread this to try to improve my riveting.