Thursday, July 16, 2015

Book Review: Glass Bead Workshop

In today's article, our very own JET Team book reviewer, Mollie of RoughMagicCreations, takes a look at a beautifully illustrated book about making glass beads...

Hello again! There's just something so enticing about the idea of learning a new skill at my own pace in my own home workshop!



No critical and demanding instructor peering over my shoulder and making my hands tremble in trepidation. No competitive, querulous co-learners vying for praise and attention - and the spot by the window. No Show & Tell presentations or fearsome critique sessions. No, none of that. Just me and my coffee, my tools and my book.



The book I'm reviewing for you today is Glass Bead Workshop, written by Jeri L. Warhaftig. Now, I'm not a glass artist and probably never will be, but I do know a lovely, well written book when I see one. And Glass Bead Workshop is certainly both.



This colorful hardcover book was presented to me as a gift, and as soon as I opened it and read the first few pages, I gained a deep admiration and respect for the talent, imagination and skill necessary to create beautiful handmade glass beads.



Following an introduction, "Welcome to My Studio," Warhaftig gives us a rundown of The Basics: Tools and Materials, Annealing, Safety, and How to Use This Book.



Then come ten sessions, or lessons, each cogently explained and beautifully illustrated with stunning color photos of the process and finished product.



Aspiring artists who complete the sessions will create a Falling Leaves Bead (think autumn!), a Beach Bead (think summer!), a Geode Bead, an Off-Mandrel Galaxy Pendant, a Blown Hollow Bead and five other designs.



Appendices include Sandblasting, Grinding and Polishing, and - what fun! - Near Misses, bloopers which, to my untrained eye, all look perfectly perfect.



After a brief bio of the author and a list of Contributing Artists, an Index is illustrated with even more photos. The glossy dust jacket matches the front and back covers of the book.



And before you ask, no, I'm not parting with my copy! It makes a spectacular statement on my coffee table, and who knows? I might just change my mind and set the world on fire making my own glass beads. Someday.....!

Glass Bead Workshop is 144 pages long and subtitled "Building Skills, Exploring Techniques, Finding Inspiration,". It was published in 2008 by Lark Books, and is available from Amazon.com. The author's website is jeribeads.com

Mollie
Mollie of RoughMagicCreations

12 comments :

Jennifer said...

Wow. I'm gobsmacked by these illustrations. Wow! I don't have any interest in picking up a new skill/hobby but this sure is beautiful and I can lust over it all I want -- guilt free!

jemsbyjb said...

A great read. Thanks for sharing Mollie.

SendingLoveGallery said...

oh this is making me drool! I love art glass in all its forms, and especially those little works of art that are lampwork beads!

Unknown said...

Amazing stuff!!!

Cher said...

Book looks fascinating, Mollie ... and those near misses look pretty darn good to me too! I'm always in awe of glass artisans, because I'm such a lampwork whore, but also smart enough to realize I shouldn't handle flame, so I'll leave it to the experts and buy from them for my jewelry designs, lol

Unknown said...

What a fun book! I'd love to learn glass bead making too.

Gemstones on My Mind said...

I love a good bead/jewelry book, and this one's no exception. Glass beads and art glass are fascinating, even the so called "near misses". This book sounds like a good one to learn the technique - Let us know how it goes Mollie, if you decide to go for it!

Beadsme said...

Sounds like an interesting read although I have no real interest in making glass beads it gives a great insight in to how some of the lampies I use are made.

Keystring said...

Great review! Such a beautiful book!

Unknown said...

As a glass-bead tramp, I am fascinated by this book! Do I want to make my own glass beads? Nooo! I'd probably burn the house down, but I do so admire and appreciate the work of those who do craft these beauties, and so books like this are a treasure. Thanks for sharing with us, Mollie. And I think that book would look soooo good on MY coffee table!

Gambatte said...

Great review, Mollie! I've often thought about learning to make glass beads but I'm afraid this dog is too old for new tricks! I have nothing but praise for those who can create in glass. Beautiful!

Tracy said...

Great review!