Thursday, May 7, 2015

What's In A Name - cooljewelrydesign

Hello and welcome back to our JET Team blog! In the first of a new occasional series, Pam of cooljewelrydesign tells us the story behind her Etsy shop name...

Every woman has a love of something ... mine was never shoes and bags, but always jewelry. Having worked in corporate America for what seemed like a million years, I was able to afford pretty much whatever caught my eye. Then in 1997 I was approached by a friend who sold a line of jewelry, manufactured in Texas and sold via home parties. I was torn ... did I *realllly* want to do THAT?
Vintage Coral and Pietersite Bracelet
One night we'd had dinner together and when we drove back to where my car was parked, I'd somehow lost the key. So my friend drove me back to my home where I had a second key - in my jewelry box. We looked at each other. My fate had been sealed!

So Tammy became my jewelry "mom". And to my surprise at the first big meeting (really big), I won the drawing for a "free" full fall line of jewelry, and a chance to participate in a mega conference in Ft. Worth. When my name was called, well, I just took it in my stride. But I thought Tammy might need emergency medical attention as she became so very excited - her excitement is very contagious!



Turquoise Boho Necklace
Later there were local meetings where everyone showed up wearing earrings, bracelets, necklaces from this line. OMG. And then I would show up wearing perhaps one piece from the line, but the other pieces I was wearing would be my own jewelry. Because my jewelry was cool. Like me!!! I cringed at these gatherings, because that jewelry simply was not me - honestly. So my Jersey girl self said "I can't do this anymore, it's just not me".

Murano Glass Post Earrings
So then I began selling only sterling silver jewelry from handpicked vendors. When people asked what kind of jewelry I sold, I'd always reply without thinking "cool jewelry". I did this at home shows and a local gallery, and some consignment ... and then in 2006 I discovered Etsy. I became a power buyer and bought ALL kinds of jewelry. Why? I wanted to see if the photos represented the product. I came from a research and development background, so this seemed like a normal path to take.
Glam Beaded Bracelet
One day the lightbulb flashed! Pam, you've done enough research, you can do this! A big discussion with myself brought about the conclusion that I should just jump in and make my own jewelry, so I did. And with more $$ than brains (back then), as I always say, I began buying components. I had NO IDEA, trust me, what I was buying, it's origin, zero. ZERO.

But the finished pieces looked cool and colorful, and there was a story going on - in my head of all places. And in January 2008 I followed my inner voice - I opened my etsy shop, and cooljewelrydesign was launched.
Aquamarine and Sunstone Bracelet
Here's the thing ... now I really do know what I'm buying. I purchase ingredients with intent and an eye for quality. I mix it up, and yes, I am still cool! And so is the JET Team. You will find what you're looking for among all the wonderful JET shops. We are all different, and that's the beauty - there WILL be jewelry that resonates with your inner voice.

We'd love to know how your Etsy shop got it's name too!
Pam
Pam of cooljewelrydesign

16 comments :

Mollie Ann said...

Pam, too right! You ARE way cooooool and your jewelry reflects your cooooolth to the inth degree! Hooray for you - you're a hero and an inspiration!!!

jemsbyjb said...

Pam your story is cool just like you and your shop. Thanks too for being one of my first customers on Etsy.

SatinDollCo said...

Pam, I love your story and your jewelry is cool. You chose the right name for your line/company. Keep up the amazing work.

Ribasus said...

Pam always has been and will ever be... The Queen of Cool in my book. Her entire approach from the designs to ingredients and the attitude of cool/modern/boho (not to mention fabulous photography and fun, readable descriptions) has made her my go-to shop for upholding a standard of excellence on all levels.
Here's to you, Pam♥

Brooke said...

Really fun to read about the origin of your aptly named shop, thanks for sharing Pam!

Beadsme said...

Great Pam. Loved reading your story.

Michele said...

Nice to find out how your shop was named, very Cool :)!!!

Gambatte said...

It was fun reading about how you found your name. I think everyone has a similar story. It took me about a year to FINALLY decide on my shop name and I think it's a good reflection of who I am and what I do. As Shakespeare said, "What's in a name?"

Unknown said...

Cool! ;)

Keystring said...

Love reading this! Thank you for posting it!

Cher said...

Great to hear about your jewelry journey, Pam... very cool *wink*! Like yourself, I've always been a jewelry-aholic, so it was natural to begin creating my own style, and in the midst, parting with some of my personal vintage collection amassed over the years... proof I was a mad buyer!

SendingLoveGallery said...

what a great post, Pam! loved reading how it all came to be!

Unknown said...

Cool story, cool jewelry!

Unknown said...

So fun reading about the origin of your shop name, and, yes, like everyone says, your jewelry is VERY cool!

Gemstones on My Mind said...

I'm not surprised about your name Pam, it is so fitting for you and your cool stuff! Your career path sounds like a girl who knows her mind! That's so cool too!

Erika Price said...

So cool to find out how your shop got it's name, Pam. You and your designs really are cool!